Jun-E cooks

8am.
Followed mum to market groggily. Way-too-low umbrellas spikes poked my forehead as I tried not to step into puddles. Wondered what it feels like to be a chicken, caged amongst other squawking peabrains with full view of a de-feathered friend's legs bent backwards and stuck into its butt.

Blood splattered my t-shirt. Judging from mum's "go back and wash lah" accompanied with rolled eyes, this should be a pretty regular occurence when marketing. Luckily I wasn't wearing white.

11am.
Started to behead and debone a bag of dead dried fish of Engraulidae family, more commonly known as anchovies or ikan bilis. They are to be dumped into water for boiling soup.

Freshly dead prawns are grey and squishy, and surprisingly easy to de-shell.

3pm.
Began chopping, cutting and mixing everything up with my mum and sis.
1. Chop prawn, water chestnut
2. Mix chopped prawn and water chestnut with corn flour and a bit of seasoning (salt and pepper).

Garlic, chillis, onions chopped to be made into sauce for my fried wantons later.

4pm.
Knock knock! on my room door.
Mum: "I can't find the ikan bilis!"
Me: "What??"
Mum: "I've looked everywhere and can't find them!"

We found the ikan bilis neatly tied up in a red plastic bag wrapped within another plastic bag in the dumpster.

We still boiled the little buggers. I didn't spend 1/2 hour peeling them for nothing.

5pm.
Wrapped the prawn+water chestnut filling with wanton skins.

7pm.
The ban on deep frying in the kitchen was lifted temporarily. Happily fried half of the wantons under my mum's supervision. (Necessary as the previous frying incident almost burnt the condo down.) The other half went into the noodle soup.

7:30pm.
Chat with Husna:
7:34 PM me: dumplings ready =D
my first attempt at cooking (edit: first serious attempt)
7:35 PM Husna: any good?
me: not salty enough i think, but at least everything's cooked =P
7:36 PM house banned deep frying but exception today
so the whole kitchen's nice and oily now haha
Husna: malay's believe if the food is salty then the cok wants to get married quickly
7:37 PM me: hahaha really? well my mum has faulty kidneys so we can't have too salty...
sign tht i'm going to marry late?
anyway i hv to go for dinner already
to collect accolades and all
wahahaha

8:30pm.
Clean up's a bitch.