Weston Miniseries #1: The Nepenthes

A whole flock of birds has been cackling outside my window for the whole morning, waking me up and keeping me awake. Since I don't want to go to school at 7 freaking am, I shall blog - about Weston =D

Weston is about 2 hours' drive away from Kota Kinabalu, so by the time we reached there, the sun had almost finished setting, leaving some really dramatic colours in the sky amidst a horizon of mangrove trees afar (picture from Pol's SLR) . Weston Wetland Retreat is a short boat ride away from the jetty at Weston. It's an independent structure in the swamp, with the lounge area by the river and a wooden bridge leading into the living quarters.

Taken by Pol on our boat trip to Weston Wetlands

Nothing much happened on our first night (except a great dinner of huge crabs and prawns, and it was included in our fee of RM280 per pax per night, weeee!!) , so I'll jump straight to the second day. We woke up early and had the provided breakfast, and went for a guided short walk in the jungle area right beside the house, which had lots of pitcher plants, or known as the Nepenthes, or known as Monkey Cups, some of them like adorable little pots on the ground, and some big ones hanging from their stems, here are the pictures:

Adorable little pot

A family of adorable little pots

Close-up of the cup

Ants on Nepenthes

Big red one

Cricket on Nepenthes

Another family of pitchers

With my fingers for scale on how puny they actually are

Pitcher plants are carnivorous. Pitcher plants are cool. To mask the fact that that's pretty much all I know about them, I'm going to leave on the pretext of getting a shower before going to school.

Going to get a shower before going to school.

Link to previous post on Kota Kinabalu.