Yay Malaysian Arts!

Waaaaa Talentime Free Screening!

I'm as prolific as humping rabbits today - three posts in a day! Anyway, another community service announcement - there's a free screening of Talentime (by Yasmin Ahmad) at 3pm, May 23 this Saturday - but I'm going to have to miss it because I'll be camping =(

But you can go! There's a Q&A session after the free movie, YASMIN AHMAD'S GONNA BE THERE, and the co-author of my blogging book Prof Wan Zawawi Ibrahim will also be on the panel. =D (I curi-curi tumpang glamour.) Movie screening will be held at Pawagam Mini P.Ramlee. Pretty much identical information (without the hyperness) at Yasmin Ahmad's blog here.

Toilet

This evening I went to KLPac and watched Toilet (dance/theatre). After kena ffked by numerous people one after another, I ended up watching it alone, and I'm really glad I did. Somehow it lifted the pressure of hoping that people I invited would like it, so I immersed myself thoroughly in the message that they tried to convey, on life, on indulgence, on internal conflict, on humanity.

I'm no critic, this is the first ever dance performance that I've ever watched, but I did enjoy it. I loved how the stage was designed - there was one sequence playing with disco lights and mist that is exactly how I imagine being stoned would be like - and the dance movements were engaging although I could see some trembling of the limbs which might be signs of inadequate training, I wouldn't know, have to ask Yuen.

Also there is girl-on-girl kissing action on stage. With passion, and not only once, I might add. Do I see some guys perking up right there? (Boy-girl kissing also have. And there was one boy-girl intimate dance sequence that I really liked as well.)

So check it out if you have time - it's only showing till May 24 - tickets cost RM37 for regular price, and if you happen to have a student card like me you get to pay only RM24 ;) Link here.

Kaleidoscope: Hands Drumming Festival

I picked up a flyer when I was at KLPac and it features drums, something that I'm a little partial to. Drumming workshops and performances will be held from 10-14 June during the festival.

For ex-Chonghwarians you would know 吴圣雄老师, pretty much the Art teacher, and he's also behind the drum team 二十四节令鼓in Chong Hwa. I don't know whether he's still in CH or not, but I do miss the drum team, and if I remember correctly he's the founder of Hands Percussion Team. Oh yeah he is, just checked out the official website.

Sadly the dates are on probably my masa kegentingan for Double Deadline 15 June, so I probably won't make it =( Someone go with my spirit can?