Hike up Batu Tambur Hill.

At least that's what I think the hill is called. It's at Melawati, near the Klang Gates Dam. All the place names in this post are accurate to the blogger's best knowledge, which isn't very good at all.

From the past two rather pleasant treks, I was eager to go for the third one that Chindiana organized. This time the party grew to the size of eight, from the previous three and six, with Chindiana, Nex, Grace, Edward that I know; and Reuben, Gavin and Serena. Han Solo has been transfered to JB and I shall only see her when I'm in Singapore.

When Chindiana called me yesterday and told me roughly what to expect, I happily said okay to everything. Almost vertical climbing for one hour? Can. Lose your footing, and you will fall like 200-300 metres down? Can. After this hike you give me your firstborn? Can can, everything can. Just bring me along, damnit!

So we set off this morning, in two cars, took the ultra long route via MRR (when we could have taken the much shorter route via Jalan Kuching passing Batu Caves =D Halfway through we wondered if we were actually going to Seremban!) and reached the base at about 8:30am. The climbing began almost immediately.

Heheh.

Like probably one tenth of the way up, I started to realize that my expectations of flat road, climbing, flat road, climbing again - were quite unfounded and largely imagined. It was climbing, climbing, climbing.... ALL the way up. *will karate chop anyone who says "I told you so"* I trudged along, but after another one sixteenth of the way, I had this most compelling urge to lie down, turn over and fall asleep. Instead, I crouched on the ground and puked one third of my breakfast out.

Fractions seem to dominate my mind this evening.

Luckily the others were too far ahead to witness the debacle from close. Under the encouragement of Chindi and Nex a few metres up, I hauled myself up and continued to heave one leg in front of the other. Sweating profusely and feeling like giving up every ten steps I took. Fortunately the guys wouldn't hear of it and kept cheering me on.

Memories of past hiking experiences flashed in front of my eyes - the time when I almost fell off the cliff from walking on a damp metal pipe when on a school trip to Gua Tempurung (I think), very dangerous indeed in hindsight; the time when I had to stop while walking with Val along Abel Tasman National Park; family outing to Gasing Hill... okay. I'm not good at this. History has proven so.

I could hear Chindi and Nex in front, arguing over who should accompany me and who should proceed. "You go ahead lah!" "No, you go ahead!" Aiks. Sorry lah guys. At the end Nex stayed back to keep the resident old lady company, and Chindi went on to join the rest. Light-headed and heavy-footed, I managed to get to the peak (that's what I hope it was) and we decided that we wouldn't follow the others through the more challenging route, but we would hang around then take the original route down.

After I caught my breath the world became beautiful again. The air was cool, the KL skyline was visible (albeit within a grey cloud of smog) and there was a curious bumble bee with its abdomen striped metallic blue and black, buzzing around. Nex and I had a good leisurely chat on general topics like building sustainable homes and communes, and Star Wars movie props.

When the time came that we should begin to descend the hill, I stood up and felt that something was amiss.

OMFG.

I would refer to it later to the others as a "wardrobe malfunction", but to put it in plain prose - I had ripped my pants. In fact, it was not so much as a rip than a huge, 20cm long gash, probably resulted from leaning my butt liberally on jagged rocks. I didn't even know when it happened.

Quite aghast, the trip downhill was rapid and purposeful. Nex moved in front and luckily we didn't meet too many people, and when we did I had to shield my back with my backpack. In my hurry, I slipped and fell and bruised my lower back. Ouch.

In view of the series of unfortunate and embarrassing events, the optimistic voice at the back of my head pointed out how it could be worse. I could've been with the rest of the guys when the gash happened, and it would have been loads more uncomfortable. For, ripped pants are like car accidents, they're horrific but you can't stop looking at them. The fall could have cut me on where the pants were ripped. Or, I could, like Jen Hui suggested later, have been wearing a bright red pair of underwear instead of the inconspicuous black pair.

Could be worse, could be worse.

Nex and I reached the bottom of the hill in due time where we waited for the others to reach the car. When they did, I asked Grace if she had extra pants, which apparently she did. But of course it would be too easy if I were to slip blithely into her pants and close the case. Nope, of course not. I wouldn't fit. There was no blitheness to speak of. Reluctantly I surrendered Grace's shorts back to her. Edward from the other car offered me his extra pair of pants then.

I eyed Edward's slim physique and asked apprehensively, "Do you think that I could fit into them?" Because, it is one case to be unable to fit into dainty S-sized girl's pants and quite a different case to be too big for a guy's pair. The embarrassment would be too much to bear within a day, although I do have a high threshold for embarrassment. Fortunately, the pants flung over to me was as big as a tent, and fit me comfortably.

I am relieved to say that the rest of the day went on without further complications. I successfully belanja-ed chicken rice to part of the group (sorry for those who had nasi campur), since I promised to the last time when I forgot my wallet. After getting home, Jen Hui and I spent a glorious afternoon in the Popular Book Fest in KL Convention Centre, resulting in me spending more money on books - but I bought Chinese books! I haven't read Chinese books in ages so it is justified! - and her on English novels and CDs.

Pretty sore legs at the end of the day, partly from standing too long at the book fest and partly from the partially completed hike.

***

To The Hiking Peeps: Thanks guys, for bringing me along, pushing me a bit but not too much, lending me pants and everything. And on top of all those, for not laughing (openly) at me. Heheh. Thanks a million!

To Jen Hui: We shall find love! And I don't mean on the back cover of the Brian McKnight CD that you bought!

To Everyone Else: Ei, you people do realize that I'm going to be off in about 2 weeks' time and you'll never get to see me in a looooong while right? Why is noone asking me out? I'm free most of the time till 18 June. Call/text/email me. If you want to meet within 18 June - 21 July we can probably work something else up in between my travel plans.

***

In other news: Cooking Mentor Robert's coming to Singapore and Malaysia!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! He's going to arrive at Singapore at 15 July, slight glitch at the travel period because Val's leaving on the same day back Germany =( But he's coming!! And the crazy guy is planning to cycle from Singapore to Hong Kong, wahaha... We might meet in Malacca if he doesn't get to KL by the time I leave to Singapore. Will work out something.

***

Wooh. Ultra long post. This post sat in my drafts overnight because I kept falling asleep while editing it. I'm itching all over. Mozzie bites and lots of tiny scratches which are bloody itchy!!