The thing about Earth Hour.

It's always the same argument, isn't it. Why should I vote? Not like I'm going to make a difference. Why should I throw garbage in a can when there is so much litter lying around? Why should I change my lifestyle when other people won't?

For me, I don't care what other people do. I do my bit. I reject plastic bags as much as I can. I bring my own utensils to the canteen that only uses polystyrene utensils, or boycott it when I don't feel like eating crappy food and washing my own utensils. I try to use power conscientiously. I've got loads of room for improvement, I know that, but at least I try.

Earth Hour is a world-wide PR stunt, not hippie-run, and loads of people are capitalizing on it. So what? Somewhere, it might inspire people to change their lifestyles. To turn off their appliances when they're not using them. To talk about what they can do, with like-minded people. To explain to their children why the national landmark was blacked out for an hour. To make a symbolic gesture that LOOK CLIMATE CHANGE IS HAPPENING, what can we do about it?

Look I know there's a lot of crap happening in this world. I know a lot of people are disillusioned. I agree that climate change will not be reversed by a one-hour world-wide publicity stunt. But whinging about it, taking a stand against it because you don't want to be seen as a follower of fads, will bring positive change? We keep harping about "people's attitudes", forgetting that we are the people. We are the attitudes that need to be changed.

The other day, I met a prof on my floor who beckoned to me and banged a tin thingy that he was holding. "Look," he said. I looked. "I brought my own utensils too!" he said, proudly. I had met him in the canteen once, quite some time ago, and he saw me using my container. "Just wanted to let you know that you're inspiring people around you!" he beamed. I wasn't even trying.

Just because you don't see the difference that you're making, does not mean that you did not make a difference.

And that's my stand on Earth Hour.