Massachusetts Auction Update - BMW 733i Touring

Yesterday I wrote a post about an auction happening November 16, in Waltham, MA. (You can find the original post here, or just scroll down.)

As I mentioned, the car that caught my eye right away was the 1981 BMW 733i Touring. I'm a "BMW guy" (I've owned the same 1995 E36 for 17 years. It's my daily driver. In fact, at the moment, it's my only driver!), but I have never seen, or even heard about, a 733i Touring before.

I was doing a bit of research last night and came across the site BMWism.com. (Which is where the above photo of the back end of the car came from.) According to them, there were 2 prototypes built. The picture they show is of a car that looks just like the one being auctioned. Could this car be one of the prototypes? (Click on the site and then scroll about 3/4 of the way down the screen.) I have no idea, but now I'm completely obsessed with this car. I've e-mailed the auction house and asked for permission to view the car in person. If I can, I'll take some photos and post them here.

If anyone has any other info, please post it in the comments section.

I love the 2002 tail lights.

Find the auction information and a picture of the car as it is now in the original Just a Car Geek post.

Updating the Update

A JaCG reader who is familiar with the cars being auctioned has posted some pictures of the 733i Touring.

Let's just say that the picture on the auctioneer's website makes it look a lot better than it is....

In a way, this makes this even more interesting. The car looks to be restorable. It may go cheap. (OK, cheaper than it would have if it were in mint condition.) A winter project? Is it worth taking the day off to attend the auction? This could be a bargain. Then again, it may not hit the amount the auctioneer (or creditors, I guess) thinks it's worth and it will be pulled off auction. Also, there's always that the one person who seems to show up at every auction and has to have one certain car and will bid it up to a stupid amount of money. Will this be the car he's bidding on? That's what makes auctions fun...

You can find a few more pictures of the 733i Touring in it current state here.