Weekend Quickies - Sunday, November 14, 2010 - Station Wagons

1999 BMW 540iT - There is nothing wrong with these cars. A spectacular V8 wrapped in a very slick station wagon body. What's not to like?

This one has just 82,000 miles on it and appears to be in very good shape.

Located in Harvard, MA, click here to see the Craigslist ad.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Lakewood - I like Corvairs. I've owned several, including a 1962 station wagon. They are fun to drive and, yes, despite what Mr. Nader said, safe.

The wagon was only sold for 2 model years, 1961 and 1962. It was not a big seller. There are few of these cars left.

This appears to be an easy restoration project. The seller says it runs and drives. He says the body is "overall straight". The car does have some floorboard rust, which is common. Being a flat floor, it's fairly easy to take care of.

Fix the floors, repaint it or buff it out and bring it to your local cruise night. I guarantee it will get more attention than many of the better known classics.

Located in Oakland, CA, click here to see the Craigslist ad...

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sportwagon - This is not the type of car I usually feature. A car built in 2005 is not a classic and it's not all that unusual or rare. I just had to include one because I was blown away the first time I saw one.

It was at Lime Rock Park in 2009. As my friend and I were leaving, we came over the hill there was an X-Type Sportwagon right in front of us. It stopped me in my tracks. Pictures do not do these cars justice. The Sportwagon is a beautiful car in person.

The Sportwagon is AWD and fast. It's as sporty and luxurious as a Jaguar should be. It's also a high maintenance car. If you buy one, budget some extra money for some expensive repairs.

This car is being offered by one of those "we'll finance you even if you're in prison" type of used car lots. I don't know that it's wise to buy a Jaguar from one of those places, unless you need the financing help. Even if you bring cash you'll pay top dollar. I just chose this car because the seller included some good pictures. Shop around and you might find a better price.

Located in Seattle, WA, click here to see the Craigslist ad.

1991 Mercedes 300TE 4-Matic - I was obssesing about these awhile ago. I bought a Peugeot wagon instead, sold it, and I'm now obsessed with the TE again.

This is a high mileage car. In some ways it's better to buy a high mileage 300TE than a lower mileage car. While they're pretty durable cars, they were prone to head-gasket, transmission and electrical failures. A car with this kind of mileage on it (230,000) has most likely had those problems dealt with earlier in its life. Once all that has been addressed, these cars will go on forever (OK, maybe a little less).

The seller says this car "runs like a swiss watch". It looks very cool in red.

Located in Conway, NH, click here to see the Craigslist ad.