Random Ramblings

So Singapore wasn't so bad after all. The first night was horrible as I subconsciously repeated a mantra in my head *Three fucking years three fucking years three fucking years* as I looked at the window, which coincidentally had a mosquito netting which looked like prison bars. That is not an encouraging sight when all you want to do is to take flight and get the hell out of there.

This is the view from the door when I go into my room. My bed's on the left and the view's quite pretty six floors up because of the surrounding green. I haven't packed anything yet, I went with a backpack and when I left I left with the backpack so the room looks pretty much untouched. But not for long. Muahahahahaha.

But then the second day I immersed myself in running errands and getting to know people, so things became better. The system in Singapore is damn efficient, this much you gotta give to them. (No I did not say it in a grudging tone you imagined that stop making things up) I imagine that the cogs of the system would feel really bored, but in the words of kindly ol' Marten - well, sucks for them! Everything was very well-organized and I found myself with extra time on my hands after going through all the bureaucratic crap.

With the extra time I got lost leisurely in the campus. The campus map is essential to my well-being. The map gets lost, I get lost. Simple as that.

Sigh. Who am I kidding. I am hopeless even with the map. I mean, I can read everything that's on it, so technically I can read the map, but I never know which direction to hold the map to reflect my current position. Maybe I should supplement my navigation kit (the map) with a compass.

But getting lost has its merits too, it forces you to talk to people and through that I got to know Handi the Indonesian guy and Roman the Russian/German. Also in my growing bunch of international friends is Zhang Yan, a Chinese girl whom I met during the campus tour and who's in my school. She's into travelling as well. I have yet to meet any Malaysians. The place is swarming with Chinese people! Lucky I speak the lingo =D

Life back at home doesn't seem to be real and life there doesn't seem to be real either. I keep walking around like in some sort of daze. Also I'm running around sending copies of my book to people. That doesn't feel real either. This past year has been crazy - I've got to know so many dear people and done so many things that I'd never do in the past - that I sometimes feel that I would wake up and find myself back in the days when I was still doing my Master's, still trying to write my thesis, and that I somehow dreamt up Val, Robert and Marten, and the Japanese didn't go to the South Pacific Seas to kill all those whales.

Which would suck, except for the whale part.

Speaking of dreaming - I still can't decide whether to bring my comforter along to Singapore or not. On one hand it will make my new bed familiar and I would use it for the next three years. On the other I would hate coming back home without my blanky on my bed! It's almost like an act of betrayal. So long, KL! I'm bringing my blanky with me and there's nothing you can do about it!

No. Still can't decide. See how lah.

I'm going to be super busy for the rest of the week. Busy meeting up with people, doing shopping for various stuff that I need, Roman might bring a horde of Germans to KL so it's up to me to be a good host and make them love Malaysia, and I also need to see a dentist. If this is a dream this is a very hectic dream.