Shoes are overrated.

Yesterday I wore one of my favourite pairs of heels to window shop with Jia Ling. About two hours into our foray into Orchard Street's labyrinth of glitzy display windows and mannequins, the right heel went kaput. (Sidenote: I didn't know that - but kaput is actually a German word. It doesn't look German does it? It looks kind of Southeast Asian actually.)

Long story short I spent a good five hours walking around Orchard Road and Clarke Quay barefoot. It is a most interesting experience. I can attest to the fact that Singapore floors are very clean, especially in the malls. You could probably eat off those in Takashimaya.

You'd be surprised how many different textures your bare feet can pick up. Escalators are obviously not that nice to ride on because of the ridges, and the best tiles I walked on was at Clarke Quay, which had an almost silken texture. Because it rained I got to wash my feet in puddles. Walking on soggy carpets is kinda gross though. And walking on grass can be deceptive because there are sharp little pebbles there! Bloody grass.

The shopping trip was mostly fruitless except for a World Map that I bought, and pinned up. The quality of my camera is really crappy but here's what my desk kinda looks like right now. I also got little map pins and stuck them on places I'd been.


All the glorious expanse of places waiting to be explored and discovered! I'm itching for my next trip. Although the priority right now is to save money for the further places, but India, China, Vietnam and Borneo look extremely inviting. If you had 21 days of annual leave at your disposal, where would you go?