Some new friends.

So I stayed in the hostel today and didn't go anywhere. In the morning I had an insightful chat with the cleaner lady who happened to be in the pantry while I was making oats for breakfast with the hot water dispenser. She started telling me horror stories about how some girls throw their soiled sanitary napkins into the dustbins just like that. Very inconsiderate to the people who are doing the cleaning up.

"Last time there was an auntie, who took the sanitary napkins, and burnt them." What happens when you burn them? I asked, wide-eyed. "It's not good. Not good for the girl," she said solemnly and impressively, and refused to elaborate. So here you are, girls. Do yourselves and others a favour, wrap your monthly blood up before you dispose of them. Unless if you want to get yourself cursed. Then by all means.

Being friendly with the resident cleaner lady also has other benefits. For instance I now have the intelligence that a certain microwave oven in Lobby 2 was once used by a girl to microwave her underwear. She decided to microwave not one, not two, but four of her panties because they weren't dry. Using an iron did not occur to her. No, she would microwave them instead, in a bowl.

The cleaner ladies noticed the unorthodox objects spinning merrily in the lighted oven, ambushed the girl and told her off. The kind lady never used any of the ovens ever again. I think that's a wise decision. I shall do the same, and continue to smile widely at cleaner ladies who come my way.

I stink. I shall go shower first and continue blogging when I get back.

Back.

The whole day I spent alternating my position from on the bed (sleeping and reading) to in front of my laptop (reading this really funny blog of a Guatemalan (El Guapo in DC), it has been discontinued since a year ago but the archives are priceless!). Thus passed a pretty uneventful day until I kicked my ass out of the room at 9pm to go jogging. The things boredom make you do!

So I jogged a bit, and brisk-walked most of the way because I'm really no jogger, and passed by the NIE (Nanyang Institute of Education) basketball courts. Yesterday when I was depressed I thought I would join in some games the next time. Well, no time better than now, nowhere better than here, noone better than me! So I approached two guys at the court and asked them nicely if I could join. So I did. Then I shot some hoops with the guys, both Singaporeans, for about half an hour. I have forgotten how nice it feels to hold a basketball. It's been such a long while! They weren't playing in teams though because there were only two of them. So endurance wasn't an issue and I just enjoyed shooting.

They were having an inter-block basketball tournament tomorrow and they weren't sure if anyone would turn up... naturally I asked why. Apparently everyone's busy studying. And it's like, one week into the semester. And naturally I pointed that out. "It's only 12 weeks till the exams! We're Singaporeans!" was the answer. You're joking right? "No, there really are people who have started to study." Then what are you guys doing here playing basketball? "Oh we've finished studying. We're the most kiasu ones." I hope they were joking. I really do.

Basketball back into my life! Even the customary casualty of my specs as a result of ball on face. Ah the nostalgia.

At the end I exchanged numbers with one of the guys. And One Of The Guys is kinda cute too. I should've let him walk me back to my hostel. Maybe next time. When I feel less like a cradle robber. Both guys are undergrad freshmen. Ah to be young and carefree and cramming for an exam which happens 12 weeks later!

One last thing. I think I may get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from using my Sony Ericsson w910i to text. The keys are infuriatingly shallow. Otherwise I've got no complaints, only that I need to somehow transfer my coo-coo ringtone from my old phone to my new. My phone won't be my phone till I do that. But so far trying to send an MMS has not worked, I don't have a cable, there's no bluetooth and the new phone does not have infrared for me to transfer. Any ideas?