My New Attitude.

My family drove me down to Singapore and spent a weekend here. Now they are on the way back to KL and I am back in the room listening to YJ's new song, an '80s dance song reminiscent of 对你爱不完 (by Aaron Kwok), only that it's much nicer, without that corny dance and composed by my best friend.

It's making me happy again. There have been people bothering me with "holier than thy country" insinuations, being condescending to the point of pitying. Self-satisfied bigots. People who are the reason why I am prejudiced against Singaporeans.

I have come up with a new attitude to counter this , comprising of three simple words.

"You might want to get your teeth checked here, since, you know, we have better qualified dentists." Well, fuck you.

"Oh, Jurong is a Malaysian place. Mostly Malaysians live here. I rarely come here." Well, fuck you.

"Oh it only happens in Jurong. Elsewhere we all speak English." When observed that the waitresses in Singapore serve in Mandarin. Well, fuck you.

I was boarding the lift just now and within it was two strangers staying in the same building as I am. I realized that I wasn't smiling at people anymore. Normally I at least make an effort to bare my teeth, because I like it when people smile back at me. My teeth (functional but not aesthetically pleasing - another well, fuck you moment) refused to be bared. My eyes, where all the mirth reside, remained stony.

No!! I am losing my magic smile!!

There is one solution to this problem. Finding Singaporeans who are not like them. Singaporeans who are humble, friendly and do not put you down at every opportunity. I am falling into the trap of generalizing. After all, I have met people of varying nationalities who are nothing like their stereotypes.

But in the meanwhile, to all the meanies out there, I see no reason why I should not defend myself with my new attitude. Except that it would harden and numb my soul. Till when I find the lovely people of this nation, the plan is still to leave asap. A certain "overseas research attachment form" comes into mind.

A picture of happier moments:

Picture of me taking a picture of River Kwai at Kanchanaburi, Thailand by Asa.