1953 Siata 208S - Ex Steve McQueen Car - $1,295,000.00!!

This is so not your typical Just a Car Geek car. This is a million dollar car. Actually, it's a $1,295,000.00 car.

OK, right up front I'll point out that there is an error in the listing's header. This car is a Siata 208S, not a 280 S. Now, those of you who read this blog regularly know that I am known for a typo or two (often in every sentence), but... No one is paying me $1,295,000.00 to write this blog. For that kind of money I'd proofread until I was blind. Then I'd buy a seeing eye dog and teach him how to read so he can read it again for me. I'm surprised the seller didn't spot that error.

There's not a lot written about the 208S and I don't know a lot, so my usual "information paragraph" will be brief...

The 208S uses the all aluminum Fiat V8. In stock form this 1996cc engine pumped out about 110 HP. Siata used different cams and and a better designed head and got around 140 - 160 HP from the engine. The power was transferred to the rear wheels via a 5 speed transmission. the car had a top speed of around 110 MPH. The body was aluminum and the whole car weighed just 2500 pounds. The seller of this car says that just 35 were built, and I can't find any article to confirm or dispute that.

What makes this car special to some is one of its previous owners; actor Steve McQueen. The seller gives a brief history of McQueen's time with the car and seems to have done considerable research.

This is a beautiful and impressive car. The price reflects the Steve McQueen history. I guess if you have the money, love old Italian cars and were a fan of Steve MeQueen, this might be worth the money to you. Me? I'll stick with my odd, but considerably cheaper, cars. (Not that I have anywhere near that kind of money, but do you realize just how many Austins, Opels, Renaults, Peugeots, TVRs, Alfa Milanos, Laforzas, etc., etc., I could buy with $1,295,000.00? Damn, I'd need a couple of airplane hangars to store them all. I'd have the world's biggest collection of odd cars. I be proud of it, too...)

Located in Scotts Valley, CA, click here to see the eBay listing.