1968 Lamborghini Islero

As you can probably figure out from this blog, I've spent a lot of time reading about cars. You can also probably tell from this blog that my interests lean towards affordable, off-beat cars. But that doesn't mean that I don't study the "real classics", too. I may spend 10 times more time studying Renaults, Peugeots, Opels, Rovers, Austins and Fiats than I do Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but I thought I had some basic knowledge of the exotics. I at least thought I knew the models. Until now...

I don't now why this car isn't familiar to me. Maybe it's old age creeping up on me and I've forgotten about it. Maybe I've become a lightweight and the drink I had with a friend tonight has clouded my brain. Maybe the Novocaine the dentist used this morning has numbed my mind. I don't know.

Anyway, after seeing this car I had to do some research on it. I had to write a post for Friday, too. I might as well combine both.

The Islero is essentially an update of the 400GT. The body was designed by Carrozzeria Marazzi. It has a 4.0 liter Lamborghini V12 in it. 0-60 took 6.5 seconds and its top speed is 155 MPH.

If you ask the average person what a Lamborghini looks like, they'll probably describe a Countach or a Diablo. They were poster cars. (Their styling was a little over the top for my taste.) Maybe, if they read car magazines, they'd describe the more recent Murciélago or Gallardo. (Both much nicer styled cars than the Countach and Diablo, in my eyes.) Few people today seem to know or remember that Lamborghini made some great touring cars. This is one of them (and even I forgot about this one!).

I love the styling of vintage Italian 2+2s. This car is a classic Italian GT. Everything about this car is "right". The long hood, short deck. The pop-up headlights, the style over function rear bumperettes. Only the Italians could have designed something like this. Of course the interior is pure Italian, too. A wooden wheel, tan leather, tons of gauges and toggles and a radio as far away from the driver as it can be without being in the car next to you. I love it.

How the hell did I not remember this car? Maybe I haven't seen one in person (there were only 125 built), but still... I must have seen a picture.

Hopefully, I'll see one (again?) in person. There's a pretty good chance I'll never own one, however. The selling prices for these cars puts them a little out of my league. (That's not true, it puts them A LOT out of my league.)

Located in Salem, VA, click here to see the eBay listing.

For more info about this car, check out the article on the QV500.com site. Here's part one, and here's part two.